Monday, July 11, 2016

It's that time of year again!

First, I had to clean up the mat of fermenting plums that had fallen off the tree already *hiccups*

In kilograms mind you! This was about 2/3rd of the plums that went into the jam. An equal amount had to be discarded as they were too far gone, meaning they had been - partially - eaten by wasps, bees, rats, squirrels and/or fruit flies or a combination thereof, urgh!

De-pitting and de-larvaeing is a long and cumbersome process.

Little sense of scale, but the large jars in the back are liter jars, the ones in the front about half a liter. So you're looking at approximately 14 liter of plum jam. Is this the moment to confess I'm not a huge fan of plum jam? Haha ... Anyway, this is homemade, natural, artisanal, fresh, cholesterol-free, low-fat, organic, hand picked, gluten free, but not quite vegetarian plum jam. I really hope we'll have a proper winter with plenty of rain this coming winter. But if we don't and there aren't any plums next year, we'll still be all set!

No comments: